APPLY TODAY TO BE A TEACHER
AT EXCEL PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL
WHO WE ARE
At Excel, we love the work we do. We believe that educators hold a powerful place in society, and we are always looking for special people who refuse to believe in the limitations of adults and children. All members of the Excel team share a fundamental belief that they have the ability to unlock potential in each and every student. That’s why we operate with a growth-mindset, and constantly push ourselves to face new personal and professional challenges every day. Our mission guides everything we do, and we treat teaching as a profession that pushes us to continuously hone and perfect our skills in order to be better for the students who rely on us.
WHY WE TEACH
We teach because we know that great teachers transform lives. We teach because we know that all students can excel. We are passionate about inspiring a love of learning in our students, empowering them to become agents of change in their communities, and equipping them with the academic skills and character habits that will prepare them for the rigors of college and career. We are committed to the notion that demography need not equal destiny, which is why we hold ourselves and our students to the highest of standards.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We regard teaching as an honor and an enormous responsibility. We expect extraordinary things from our teachers but also provide extraordinary coaching and support to help teachers succeed. We strive to create a culture that reveres great teaching, develops it, and supports it by providing teachers with the resources they need and empowering them to succeed.
As a member of the Excel team, expect to:
- Join a highly collaborative team of passionate educators, where we all work together to do what is best for every student in the school, not just for the students in our own classrooms. Common prep times, regular team meetings, best-practices sharing, peer observations, celebration of successes, and staff social events all contribute to a supportive, warm, and fun professional environment.
- Engage in comprehensive, ongoing professional development. Excel’s entire year, from the four-week summer Exceleration to weekly professional development, is designed to support teacher growth and effectiveness. Regularly scheduled observations, individual coaching, and peer observations all come together to build a culture where teachers feel positive about their strengths and reflective and urgent about their areas of growth.
- Take ownership over the success of your students by designing innovative and engaging learning opportunities. In conjunction with increased flexibility and control over their curriculum, teachers at Excel regularly measure student mastery of learning standards and analyze data to guide their practice and strategically tackle instructional challenges.
- Engage in more learning time with your students, with an extended school day and year and the opportunities afforded by a small school to form meaningful bonds with students and families.
Attend many college graduations beginning in 2025 and 2026!
2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR RECRUITMENT
We are currently seeking to fill teaching positions for the 17-18 School Year in the following departments:
- Physical Education
- Foreign Language (Spanish)
- English Language Arts
- Special Education
- Instructional Assisstant
We are seeking mission-driven teachers to join the Excel team for the 2017-2018 School Year for grades 7-9. Our ideal candidate is hard-working, entrepreneurial, and possesses a strong desire to foster high levels of academic achievement with academically underserved students.
Excel teachers are committed to continuing their own learning and refining their practice to stay current in the field, ensuring a quality education for all. Excel will have small class sizes; weekly professional development and specialized cross-network professional development days; regular observations, coaching and feedback; summer training; new teacher support meetings; and various opportunities for teachers to attend professional development conferences. We believe strongly in providing training and support to our staff in order to enable strong teaching and learning in every classroom.
Leadership opportunities will also be available as Excel grows. These roles will include professional development leader, teacher leader, demonstration teacher, curriculum coach, data fellow, Instructional Leadership Team member, and various administrative positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effectively instruct students as prescribed by Excel’s academic content standards through direct instruction, demonstration and using audio-visual aids and other materials to supplement presentations with the overall goal of engaging student learning.
- Teach an Advisory section to a group of students
- Maintain effective supervision and discipline in the classroom.
- Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction.
- Develop and submit weekly and long range lesson plans containing standards, objectives, essential questions, and assessments; assign lessons and review homework.
- Consistently administer tests to evaluate pupil progress, record results, and issue meaningful reports to inform parents of progress.
- Attend faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attend staff meetings, and serve on committees as required.
- Work as part of interdisciplinary team and within content areas planning and aligning curricula to ensure that instruction follows curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school.
- Create and implement student intervention plans when necessary for students with special education program and general education students.
- Maintain the school’s student management policies and procedures (i.e., attendance records, dress code, etc.) and report to the school administrators when necessary.
- Work with other teachers and administrators to address and resolve student issues.
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all students
- Lead and participate in student activities such as: sponsoring student activities or student organizations, coaching a sports team, working with parents and the community as part of a committee or group, provide morning or after school supervision, and chaperoning student events.
- Abide by all state and federal mandates in reporting sexual or physical abuse and neglect.
- Special projects and duties outside of primary teaching responsibility as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Washington State Teaching Credential with an appropriate endorsement, ability to obtain Washington State Teaching Credential or an Emergency Teacher Certificate. Please click here to review certification requirements.
- Excellent collaborative and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Growth mindset and love of learning
- A strong ethical base and self-awareness
- Relentless commitment to and high standards for high quality execution
- Passionate with a high level of personal responsibility towards ambitious goals
- Strong sense of integrity, ethics, and drive to achieve and grow
- Humility, sense of humor, and rock-solid commitment to Excel’s mission and the community
- Commitment to building programs from beginning to end
- Ability to multi-task and function in a high-energy environment
Excel Public Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H-1B Visa applicants.
Our annual teacher salary is competitive, based on education and experience. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of Kent students.
To apply please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted and we hire on a rolling basis. The start date for this role is July 2017.